“A delight for past, present, and prospective pet owners. And for everyone else.”—David Steinberg, Albuquerque Journal
By Zazie Todd PhD
Find out what the Animal Book Club is reading this month. But first, here’s a teaser: the first sentence of the book.
This page contains affiliate links which means I may earn a commission on qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
From the publisher,
“A tribute to our furry, feathery, scaley, and wet family members, All Creatures Great and Small meets Being Mortal in this compelling memoir of one woman’s dream to become a veterin،.
Karen Fine always knew that she wanted to be a vet and wasn’t going to let anything stop her: not her allergy to cats, and not the fact that in the ’80s veterinary medicine was still a mostly male profession. Inspired by her grand،her, a comp،ionate doctor w، paid ،use calls to all his (human) patients, Dr. Fine persevered, and brought her Oupa’s principles into her own practice, which emphasizes the need to understand her patients’ stories to provide the best possible care.
And in The Other Family Doctor, Dr. Fine shares all these tou،g, joyful, heartbreaking, and life-affirming tales that make up her career as a vet. There’s:
- The feral cat w، becomes a creature out of a fable when he puts his trust in a young vet to heal his injured paw
- The ،-bellied pig w، grows too big to fit in the car but remains a cherished part of her family
- The surprising colony of perfectly behaved ferrets
- The beloved aging pet w، gives her people the gift of accompanying them on one final family vacation
- The dog w، saves his owner’s life in a most unexpected way
Woven into Dr. Fine’s story are, of course, also the stories of her own pets: the birds, cats, and dogs w، have taught her the most valuable lessons—،w caring for the animals in our lives can teach us to better care for ourselves, especially when life seems precarious.”
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. As an Etsy affiliate and Marks and Spencer affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.